Winter is here. The days are cold and nights are colder. And electricity prices just keep going up. All we want is to keep warm without going over budget.
Here are a few tips that can be used to stay warm this winter.
- Put rugs or light blankets on the floor. Insulation. Nuff said.
- Hang up curtains. Think of it as a sweater for the window
- Dress in layers. If you are cold, put on a sweater. This is something that we both grew up on. If you are still cold, put on another layer or consider putting the heat on. Slippers and a hat also do wonders.
- Use hot bags. Either hot water bottles or the microwave bean bag ones. Put them in your bed a few minutes before you get in.
- Drink something warm. A hot beverage is like a warm hug from inside.
- Bake. Warm food and the oven itself will heat up the room. What’s not to love?
- Let the sunshine in. If it’s a cold but sunny day, let the sunlight into your room. Having it light the room is an added bonus.
- Block all drafts. Even the slightest draft can keep the room from staying warm.
- Bundle up and turn off the heat at night. We sleep in sweatshirts, sweatpants and warm socks covered by a thick duvet or two. No need to have the heat on if everyone is tucked into warm beds. If it’s particularly cold, consider putting the heat on a timer to warm the house before wake up time.
- If you use the heat, keep it around 18C. Each degree higher will cost you more.
- If you have separate heaters for different rooms, only heat the room you spend most of your time in and make sure to close the windows and doors to keep the heat in.
- Make sure your heating vents are clean.
- Cuddle up with your pet/spouse/child/other. In the evenings, our dog either cuddles up in one of our kids’ beds or plants herself between us on the couch. Hurray for being warm blooded.
What things do you do to stay warm in the winter?
Leave a Reply